Saturday, April 16, 2011

I hate timing gears...

I really do. I have spent this week trying to get my timing gear off of my FwhoreRunner (4Runner) to no avail, I finally got it off this morning and I have been working on it since Monday. It ended up that there was so much rust it was basically welded onto the crankshaft.

The cell phone pictures suck but it gives you a general idea,
for those of you who don't know a timing gear is attached to your crankshaft (The thing that moves as the pistons get pushed down) and makes sure your car runs right. Without a timing gear your valves would not operate correctly and you would end up destroying your engine. This little part is very important! Anyways, More pictures...

Here is where it was, again, for those of you who don't know, that brown stuff is rust. The crankshaft should not be rusted... very bad...

MORE RUST! This time on the inside of the timing gear!
The cover behind the timing gear took some damage, the blackish/brown thing is what I was trying to get to, but now i need to replace more things because I broke them... Fun $tuff...
I wish I had a better picture of this but this is the damage to the timing gear and cover, I think it looks like a retarded monkey with a chisel and hammer had its way with it but then I remembered that I used a crowbar and some screwdrivers... So I guess it's a retarded monkey with hand tools then.

No comments:

Post a Comment