Thursday, October 7, 2010

DIY Tool Roll from Canvas Bag

Using one of those military duffel bags you can get (sorry, I forgot to take a picture before I cut it up...) I decided to make a tool roll to stick an emergency tool kit in for my truck. I cut the seams and took the large center section with the handles. I folded the cut ends towards the middle and got to sewing.

This is after about 15-20 minutes of sewing, you can see how I folded it, and my trusty knife. I ended up cutting the handles off of it so that it would roll up easier from either way. The thread color is aqua, because that was all I could find...
Here is a close up of the stitching, not the straightest or prettiest in the world, but it will hold, I also doubled the thread so that it would be stronger.
Once I stitched the top and sides (about 3 1/2 hours of sewing by hand... 5min max by machine) I folded the bottom over itself like so, and stitched it together to create a deep pocket...
...to hold these. When I do fill it up this is how it will hold a few wrenches. I estimate that around 10-15 wrenches of varying sizes could fit in here.
Here is a picture that turned out very well. The roll has a sort of worn and well used  vintage look to it that I love. You can see here the double stitching holding the pocket in place, eventually I may add stitching to create individual pockets for each wrench.
Here it is all rolled up, forget about the stuff in the background. I took over the dinner table at dinnertime for this.
Here is a ruler for reference, approx. 11 1/2 inches long.
5 1/2 inches wide
4 inches tall. All sizes are approximate and without any tools inside. I am looking forward to using this.

No comments:

Post a Comment